Tuesday, March 30, 2010

03.28.10

This morning was a disaster.  We had checked and double-checked our alarms as the UK “sprang forward” one hour at midnight.  At 3:30 am, David’s iPhone went off for some technical reason that I will never understand.  We raced around for about two minutes before convincing ourselves that it was one hour early.  I lay back down and the next thing I know, I pop up to see the clock at 5:02.  Why is it that an alarm will ring promptly anytime I’m trying to sleep in but the second I need it to wake me, it never fails to fail.  Anyway, I jump out of bed and start throwing on my clothes while David races downstairs (in his birthday suit no less) to see if my car is there.  By the time I get downstairs at 5:09, we’ve come to the conclusion that the driver forgot about the time change and David (now clothed) races down the street to find me a cab.  He manages to flag down a cab at the corner and we run down the street with all 150 pounds of my bags only to discover he will not take a credit card.  We must have looked pretty pitiful fumbling around with our money and he agrees to take the 53 pounds that we scrounge up even though the trip ends up being closer to 63.  I jump in the cab, he loads the luggage, and suddenly I’m driving away mouthing “Goodbye” to a still sleepy David on the corner.   All I had pounding through my head the entire drive to the airport was “Keep Calm and Carry On”.  Nice.

No comments: