Tuesday, March 30, 2010

03.29.10

Buongiorno!  And that officially exhausts my Italian.  Thus far, however, I adore Italy.  We had a fantastic group dinner late last night with no one at the restaurant speaking English and no one in our group speaking Italian but the meal could not have been more perfect.  I unpacked all my stuff into our tiny apartment and, surprisingly, it feels a bit roomier than our Chicago place.  Perhaps because I only have the two dunnys to keep me company. 
 A few pics of my apartment and my view that only my mom and sister will enjoy!
 Our first day of work started at 9:30 at Barclays and it was full of introductory meetings, HR information, and IT setup.  Our space is beautiful, though, and I definitely appreciate the Milanese’s love of beauty.  Even the bathrooms are gorgeous! 

After work, a few of us decided to walk home (2 km) and pop into a supermarket.  I stocked up on all things Italian – prosecco, prosciutto, pasta, and parma – and attempted to cook myself dinner in our little kitchen.   Things I now know for my next meal:
  1. Fresh pasta turns into glop when overcooked.
  2. I should have bought paper towels.
  3. Hotels provide cheese graters but not wine openers.  Thank goodness for screw top prosecco.
  4. I should have bought Dawn.
  5. A spoonful of Nutella makes up for a lousy dinner.
Here’s to hoping the maids do dishes! 

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I so love getting to read all your funny stories and hear how much you are loving things so far! I am not surprised in the least, but I still love reading about it! Please continue with the frequent posting! Loveyou!!