Monday, April 26, 2010

04.25.10

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Texas.  Moving to the Midwest made me realize that not everyone loves Texas in quite the same way.  Not everyone recognizes that the Dallas Cowboys are America's team.  (My apologies to Marisa for this unfortunate shot of the Giants).
Not everyone knows that there was a hole in the roof of Texas Stadium so that God could watch his favorite team. 
Not everyone realizes that Tex-Mex is a religion to some people.  
Moving to Milan made it even more clear that, not only does everyone not love my beloved state, but that some people just like to make fun of it!  We went out for "Mex-Tex" one night.  The confederate flags on the wall were just the beginning.  What followed were shotgun jokes, Fox news jokes, George Bush jokes.  I have to admit that, while I don't agree with all of the above, I became a bit defensive.  Luckily, the chips and mediocre salsa calmed me down.  But then I began to think about it and is it really my fault that I fell in love with Texas?  Has anyone read the lyrics to our state song lately?  




Texas, our Texas!  All hail the mighty State!
Texas, our Texas!  So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.


Why would any kid think twice about the grandeur of their home state with such magnificent words?  So, while I will continue to be a proud Texan, I now understand the courtesy that must be given to all the other residents of our fine country.  As my mom used to say - it's not that they don't like you, they are just jealous.  

2 comments:

Melissa said...

love it! don't know if I would agree with "america's team" since somehow I manage to be a Texan and not root for them (maybe it was just moving to the "big city" that opened my eyes!!!)....have to say though I got a little sad (maybe even a little teary) on the day they blasted the stadium....some fun days were had in that stadium!!! :)

Nathan, Lindsay and .... said...

Viva la Tejas!!!