Tuesday, May 4, 2010

05.02.10

Day three was rainy and cold, cold, cold.  I had another morning of retreat followed by lunch with colleagues while my David went to meet the original David. 
Rather than spend the afternoon soggy, we decided to hole up in a wine bar across from the Pitti Palace.  We started out ordering a mediocre but well-priced Brunello and then the owner offered us a taste of a Rosso di Montelcino.  It was so much better and had the benefit of a fantastic story about the 91-year-old owner that only uses 40% of the grapes that he grows in order to maintain quality.  We were hooked and ordered a bottle to enjoy while we watched the umbrellas bob and weave through the rain.  While we didn't actually get any touring done this day, I thoroughly enjoyed just sitting and getting to pick the owner's brain about wineries in Tuscany.  He gave us some great recommendations that we hope to try in a month with my parents and, by the time we left to catch our train back to Milan, we were promising to be back before we left Italy!  A good day all around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are going to love Tuscany. I'll have to tell you sometime about our wine-tasting tour there. I think it's so great that you and David are getting to have these experiences. All your photos are great, too.

Melissa said...

miss you.....glad you guys are having fun and that rome ended up being more than you had hoped. happens that way sometimes doesn't it. mom and I were reading your roman adventures having a glass of champagne and eating tomatoes caprese - seemed fitting. call me later this week around 3pm my time and we can catch up......what is next on the agenda????