Sunday, May 23, 2010

05.23.10

Sunday morning, we woke up to extremely worshipful church bells, blue skies, and gorgeous ocean views.  To take full advantage of our rooftop patio, we had an extended breakfast in the sunshine as well as some gardening by Emerson.  
After dragging ourselves away from our casa, we navigated the 10,000 steps down to town and explored our own little city and its marina.  
I love that coastal towns love kitties.  Milan is obsessed with dogs so stopping to pet each cat was a welcome change.  At least until the mad case of fleas sets in.
We raced to catch a train to the largest and most resort-y of the five towns, Monterosso.  After a close call involving ditching Lindsay and Emerson in the train toilet, we finally made it to the beach!  Having forgotten our speedos, however, we simply strolled and played in the waves (well, some of us fell into the waves but I won't belabor the point) until we decided it was time for some more food at a seafood place on the boardwalk.  
We hopped another train to Vernazza, the jewel town of the five and, while I thought it was beautiful, I’m not sure I quite appreciated its jewel-ness until we stopped for refreshment at a little establishment with what has to be the best view in town.  
Six bowls of chips and a few drinks later, we headed down to the playground where DC and Emerson bonded for life and the Adairs and I planned our 2011 adventure to Spain and Portugal.  While waiting for our respective departing trains, we taught E the one...two...threeeeeee game before sending everyone on their way.  
I think DC took this shot right after I successfully convinced him to return to Cinque Terre with me the following weekend.  I read about this place ten years ago and one weekend was simply not enough so get ready for another installment!
Thank you Adairs for such a fantastic and relaxing weekend!  I just told DC that I hadn't realized just how much I had missed hanging out and having fun with friends who both love us and laugh at us.  You guys definitely fit the bill on both.  Ciao!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

looks like a blast.....makes me wish we were there!!! missing you tons today....working on wood floor samples and trying to pick is oh so hard!!!! if only you were here.......hope this week slows down and maybe you can give me a call.....email me first!!! love you guys lots!!!

Nathan, Lindsay and .... said...

Great trip! Enjoy your final days in Italia and your new adventures in Cinci! Looking forward to Portugal and Spain next summer!!!!